This section provides additional course resources including accident reports, related news articles on human factors, and supplemental readings.
Human Factors News Articles
- The oil disaster is about human, not system, failure
Article for hindsight bias exercise.
- NTSB says fan-shaft fracture caused 787 engine failure
This is an example of a real (and recent) news story describing some fault tolerant / fail safe design features for aircraft designs (will be covered in weeks 3–4).
- Robert Follensbee notes
- Roberts, N. H., and William E. Vesely. Fault Tree Handbook (PDF - 8.4MB). Government Printing Office, 1981.
Recommended excerpts, Chapter IV "The Basic Elements of a Fault Tree", and Chapter V "Fault Tree Construction Fundamentals: Failure Mechanism, Failure Mode and Failure Effect."
- Savage, Sam. "Flaw of Averages."
- Apostolakis, George E. "How Useful is Quantitative Risk Assessment?" Risk Analysis 24, no. 3 (2004): 515–20.
Perspective of a well-known advocate of quantitative methods (and former MIT professor).
- The Matterhorn Bobsled Ride: General Description (PDF)