Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
Recitations: 1 session / week, 1 hour / session
This class aims at providing students with a solid background on principles of structural engineering design. Students will be exposed to the theories and concepts of both concrete and steel design and analysis both at the element and system levels. Hands-on design experience and skills will be gained and learned through problem sets and a comprehensive design project. An understanding of real-world open-ended design issues will be developed. Weekly recitations and project discussions will be held besides lectures.
Topics of Study
- Planning and Design Process
- Materials and Structural Design Criteria
- Loads and Design Safety
- Design of Structural Elements
- Concrete Elements
- Steel Elements
- Structural Joints
- Approximate Analysis Methods as a Basis for Design
- System Design Concepts
- Special Topics that may be Covered as Part of the Design Project Discussions
- Cable Structures
- Prestressed Concrete Bridges
- Constructability and Structural Control
- Fire Protection
Nilson, A. H. Design of Concrete Structures. 13th edition. McGraw Hill, 2004.
McCormac, J.C., Nelson, J.K. Jr., Structural Steel Design. 3rd edition. Prentice Hall, N.J., 2003.
- Galambos, T.V., Lin, F.J., Johnston, B.G., Basic Steel Design with LRFD, Prentice Hall, 1996
- Segui, W. T., LRFD Steel Design, 2nd Ed., PWS Publishing, Boston.
- Salmon, C.G. and Johnson, J.E., Steel Structures: Design and Behavior, 3rd Edition, Harper & Row, Publishers, New York, 1990.
- MacGregor, J. G., Reinforced Concrete: Mechanics and Design, 3rd Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1997.
- Nawy, E. G., Reinforced Concrete: A Fundamental Approach, 5th Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Wang C-K. and Salmon, C. G., Reinforced Concrete Design, 6th Edition, Addison Wesley, New York.
- Nawy, E. G. Prestressed Concrete: A Fundamental Approach, Prentice Hall, NJ, (2003).
- PCI, PCI Design Handbook: Precast and Prestressed Concrete, Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute, IL, 1992.
- Smith, J. C., Structural Analysis, Harpor and Row, Publishers, New York.
- W. McGuire, R. H. Gallagher and R. D. Ziemian. " Matrix Structural Analysis", 2nd Edition, John Wiley and Sons, 2000.
- ACI, Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-99) and Commentary (ACI 318R-99), American Concrete Institute, 1999.
- AISC, Load and Resistance Factor Design - Manual for Steel Construction, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- AISC, Load and Resistance Factor Design - Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction.
- ICC, International Building Code, International Code Council, Inc. (2000).
- ASCE, Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, ASCE 7-02, American Society of Civil Engineers, Virginia, 2002.
- SAP2000 Analysis Reference and Tutorials, Computers and Structures.
Assistance of Oguz Gunes and Ching Au in the preparation of this course material is greatly appreciated.