You will be using a variety of software in the course of completing your in-class exercises and homework assignments. You will need to have access to a laptop with a wireless card running Windows 7 Professional or better for this class. For more information on this requirement, see the course syllabus. This sheet will assume you have Windows 7 Professional or better already installed. The database software also requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to be installed, which we also assume.
For this course, the following software is required:
- Visual Paradigm (VP) 10.2 Community Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express Edition
- for creating databases
- free download
- SQL Server requires .NET Framework to be installed (it is included in SQL Server 2012 Download)
- SQL Server requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1
- If you will also be taking 1.207, run SQL Server Configuration Manager, enable TCP / IP, and then stop and start the SQL Server service
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web
- for Web site creation
- free download
- Visual Web Developer also requires .NET Framework
MIT students enrolled in this course also ensure the following steps have been taken before beginning course:
- Download Sophos antivirus product
- Activate Windows Updates
- Enable Windows Firewall, if you haven't already
Additionally, these settings are recommended:
- Language Settings — Verify that the language setting for your computer is English. In the past, foreign languages have caused problems during installation, changing the settings may require re-installing Windows.
- Permission — Obtain the proper permissions, especially those using companies' laptops before starting installations.