Throughout this course, you will complete six essay assignments. Use the links below to get information on each essay assignment.
Writing and Reading Profile
"Where I Come From" Piece
Literacy Narrative Essay
Open Topic Essay
Investigative Essay (You will write two drafts of this essay.)
Cardinal Rules for Submitting Papers
- Read your paper aloud—after it comes off the printer—to avoid computer editing problems and to find typing errors!
Examples from some essays:
"…if they are even capable of think that way at all."
"There is nothing me from helping them…"
"We currently live in world where…"
- NEVER EVER forget to insert page numbers!
- Check to make sure that your paper conforms to the MLA format conventions outlined in Easy Writer (pp. 246-52)!
- ALWAYS introduce a quotation with your own words and provide a context for why you are quoting something or someone! No "pigeon poop" (splat!) quotations!
- Remember that you are writing for an AUDIENCE of readers who are not familiar with the texts we have read or the conversations we have had!
- You must use the MLA IN-TEXT CITATION SYSTEM (parenthetical citations for quotations and direct references, Works Cited list at the end of the paper) in this class!