The resources provided below are useful references for those interested in learning more about the topics covered in the course.
- The UNIX® Time-Sharing System, Ritchie, Dennis M., and Ken L.Thompson. Bell System Technical Journal 57, no. 6, part 2 (July-August 1978): 1905-1930. You read this paper in 6.033.
- The Evolution of the Unix® Time-sharing System, Dennis M. Ritchie, 1979.
- Kernighan, Brian, and Dennis Ritchie. The C programming language. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1988. ISBN: 0131103628.
- Bochs - An x86 platform and CPU emulator.
- QEMU - A new, much faster but less mature PC emulator. Use in 6.828 at your own risk.
x86 Assembly Language
- PC Assembly Language, Paul A. Carter, July 2006.
- Intel® 80386 Programmer's Reference Manual, 1987 (HTML®).
Much shorter than the full current Intel® Architecture manuals below, but describes all processor features used in 6.828.
- IA-32 Intel® Architecture Software Developer's Manuals, Intel®, 2004. Download the following manuals:
- Volume I: Basic Architecture
- Volume 2A: Instruction Set Reference, A-M
- Volume 2B: Instruction Set Reference, N-Z
- Volume 3: System Programming Guide
- Multiprocessor References:
- AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual.
Covers both the "classic" 32-bit x86 architecture and the new 64-bit extensions supported by the latest AMD and Intel® processors.
- Writing Inline Assembly Language with GCC:
PC Hardware Programming
- General PC Architecture Information:
- General BIOS and PC Bootstrap:
- VGA Display - kern/console.c
- Keyboard and Mouse - kern/console.c
- 8253/8254 Programmable Interval Timer (PIT) - inc/timerreg.h
- 8259/8259A Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC) - kern/picirq.*
- Real-Time Clock (RTC) - kern/kclock.*
- 16550 UART Serial Port - kern/console.c
- IEEE 1284 Parallel Port - kern/console.c
- IDE Hard Drive Controller - fs/ide.c
- AT Attachment with Packet Interface - 6 (working draft), ANSI, December 2001.
- Programming Interface for Bus Master IDE Controller (PDF), Brad Hosler, Intel®, May 1994.
- The Guide to ATA/ATAPI documentation, Constantine Sapuntzakis, January 2002.
- Sound Cards (not supported in 6.828 kernel, but you're welcome to do it as a challenge problem!)