Exercises: 2.1 | 2.2 | 2.3 | 2.4 | 2.5 | 2.6 | 2.7 | 2.8 | 2.9
Section 2.9 Exercises: The Downstepped High Phrase Accent (!H-) (ZIP) (The ZIP file contains: 8 .wav files, 14 .textgrid files, and 1 .pdf file.)
A: Listening Exercises
- ex9a1laters: this file contains several speakers producing the word later. All but one have the !H-L% phrase accent boundary tone combination. Can you pick which?
B: Labelling Exercises
The following files have TextGrids with words only. Answer keys are provided.
- ex9b1cigar (close but no cigar)
- ex9b2cigar2 (close but no cigar)
- ex9b3goodbye1 (good-bye)
- ex9b4goodbye2 (good-bye)
- ex9b5later (catch ya later)
- ex9b6frozen (frozen)
- ex9b7anna (Anna Anna)
C: Further Exercises
- Produce and record (and try to label): Try the calling contour on a variety of names of differing lengths (and stress patterns), such as:
- Produce and record (and try to label): Try saying different greetings. Do you produce the !H- phrase accent on any of them?
see ya later