Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
The schedule (see calendar) shows the reading you should have done by a given day: it's designed to spread your reading fairly evenly across the semester (e.g., if four class sessions are devoted to a novel, you should read at least a quarter of the novel for each of those sessions). In class, however, I'll go slower over some parts, faster over others.
- A take-home essay exam (1 or 2 questions) after each of the first five novels.
- One or two oral reports, approx. 10 minutes each.
- No more than two unexcused absences. Beyond that, you will fail the course.
- If you are sick or have to be away for another legitimate reason, e-mail me.
- I may charge you an unexcused absence if you frequently arrive late or without your book.
- Unannounced quizzes on readings at my discretion.