Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
- Review of flow and transport equations, with particular emphasis on the energy equation and the role of viscous dissipation.
- Instability and transition.
- Fundamental concepts in turbulence; approaches to closure and turbulence modeling.
- Jets, wakes, etc. modeled via simple closure schemes. Scalar transport in free flows (temperature, concentration).
- Buoyant plumes, transient thermals, etc.
- Turbulent flow over walls: general near-wall scaling laws; flows in pipes, channels, etc.
- Boundary layers.
- Transient dispersion in laminar and turbulent shear flows (Taylor dispersion).
- Turbulence models and their application.
- Additional topics.
The final grade is based on performance in:
- Homework Problems
- Midterm Quiz (take-home)
- Individual Project
- Take-home Final Exam