These instructions are provided by Wu-Hsi Li. (Courtesy of Wu-Hsi Li. Used with permission.)
CsoundXO server, CsoundXO Python API, sample sounds, sample Python programs.
CsoundXO software package, by Barry Vercoe: (TAR - 37.2 MB)
I wouldn't suggest you to download the file through Browse activity since the file management in XO is kind of tricky, but if you're interested, see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_Activity. Please download csoundxo.tar and Musicpainter.tar from your own computer, and copy to a flash disc.
- plug your flash disc on XO, then open a terminal activity on XO
- "su" - become root
- "mount" - check the id of your flash disc
- "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" - the device name varies, replace the device name with the actual one
- "exit" - exit root mode
- "cp /mnt/csoundxo.tar /home/olpc/csoundxo.tar"
- "cp /mnt/Musicpainter.tar /home/olpc/Activities/Musicpainter.tar"
- "tar -xvf csoundxo.tar"
- "su" - become root again
- "umount /mnt" - unmount
Music Demo 1
A Whitney Houston piece:
- Python csndxogui.py
- press "launch server"
- press "connect" to localhost
- press "play 10whit"
- press "stop", and "disconnect", and "shutdown"
Music Demo 2
Make two XOs play together on remote machine
- get a remote machine
- make sure both XOs connect to Internet or to the same mesh
- check the IP from the remote machine by "ifconfig" in the terminal
- go to the csoundxo folder, run csoundxo (./csoundxo)
On main machine
- Python csndxogui.py, press "launch server"
- enter the remote IP, press enter
- connect to both csound servers, make sure you see green lights on both sides
- press "duo performance"
- to stop, press "stop", "disconnect", "shutdown"