Some useful introductory material from my SIGGRAPH Computational Photography course.
Additional readings associated with the assignments are listed on that page, and the related resources page also contains relevant reading material.
The main paper we will use to understand many concepts:
Then we will look at additional topics based on modern methods to manipulate and capture lightfield. They include coded aperture and heterodyning.
Wikipedia page for older designs: Plenotpic Camera
"Textbook" description by Paul Carlisle.
Summary of references by Jean in 't Zand.
- Fenimore, E. E., and T. M. Cannon. "Coded Aperture Imaging with Uniformly Redundant Arrays." Applied Optics 17, no. 3 (February 1, 1978): 337-347.
- Hiura, Shinsaku, and Takashi Matsuyama. "Depth Measurement by the Multi-Focus Camera." IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR, '98), 1998, pp. 953-959.
- Veeraraghavan, A., R. Raskar, A. Agrawal, A. Mohan, and J. Tumblin. "Dappled Photography: Mask Enhanced Cameras for Heterodyned Light Fields and Coded Aperture Refocusing." Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2007.
- Levin, A., R. Fergus, F. Durand, and B. Freeman. "Image and Depth from a Conventional Camera with a Coded Aperture." Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2007.
- Coded aperture in time: Raskar, R., A. Agrawal, and J. Tumblin. "Coded Exposure Photography: Motion Deblurring using Fluttered Shutter." Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH 2006.
Phase-plate based coded aperture
Dowski, E. R. "Single-Image, Single-Lens, Passive Range Estimation Systems." In An Information Theory Approach to Incoherent Information Processing Systems. November 1, 1995.
Dowski, E. R., Jr. and W. T. Cathey. "Single-Lens, Single-Image, Incoherent Passive Ranging Systems." Applied Optics 33 (1994): 6762-6773.
Analysis of noise
Accorsi, Roberto, Francesca Gasparini, and Richard C. Lanza. "Optimal Coded Aperture Patterns for Improved SNR in Nuclear Medicine Imaging." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 474, no. 3 (December 2001): 273-284.