« Previous | Next »
- Recognize what kinds of motion can be regarded as 2-dimensional rotational motion.
- Be able to compare and contrast the kinematic quantities position, velocity and acceleration with regard to linear one-dimensional motion. Also be able to compare and contrast those kinematic quantities with the angular quantities angle, angular velocity and angular acceleration with regard to circular one-dimensional motion.
- Be able to determine the vectorial nature of angular velocity and angular acceleration for rigid body motion.
- Describe the angular velocity and angular acceleration of a rigid body that is undergoing fixed axis rotational.
- Explain the meaning of the concept of moment of inertia and be able to determine moments of inertia of some simple geometric objects like rods and disks.
- Be able to apply parallel axis theorem to determine moments of inertia of an object about different axes.
- Be able to describe the meaning of rotational kinetic energy and know how to apply rotational kinetic energy when using energy techniques to determine the motion of a rigid body.
Notes: Two-Dimensional Rotational Kinematics (PDF)
Suggested Textbook Reading (Optional)
Chapter 9.1-9.6. Young, Hugh D., Roger A. Freedman, and A. Lewis Ford. Sears and Zemansky's University Physics: with Modern Physics. 12th ed. San Francisco, CA: Addison-Wesley, 2007. ISBN: 9780805321876.
Read through the class slides carefully. They explain all of the concepts from the module.
Slides: Two-Dimensional Rotational Kinematics (PDF - 3.4MB)
Do the Concept Questions first to make sure you understand the main concepts from this module. Then, when you are ready, try the Challenge Problems. If you are struggling with the Challenge Problems, watch the Homework Help Session videos, which will give you tips on how to tackle problems of this type.
Concept Questions (PDF)
Two-Dimensional Rotational Kinematics Challenge Problems (PDF)
Solutions (PDF - 2.2MB)
Problem Solving Help
In the following videos Prof. Walter Lewin explains how to approach the Challenge Problems.
Help Session 1
Help Session 2
Help Session 3
Help Session 4
Help Session 5
Help Session 6
Help Session 7
Help Session 8
Help Session 9
Help Session 10
There are countless resources available online to help you learn physics. Try this:
« Previous | Next »