|1 ||Introduction to the two-year LGO journey || |
|2 ||Traits vs. situational leadership; Leading and following || |
|3 ||Distributed leadership || |
- Is McGregor a good leader? Why or why not?
- What are the key elements of his leadership style?
- Would his leadership style work in all situations?
- Why are the Toledo, Long Beach, and Palo Alto organizations having such a tough time getting along?
- How does each organization view the other organizations?
- Should Linda Choate keep Palo Alto and Toledo separate, merge Palo Alto with Toledo (closing Palo Alto), or merge Toledo with Palo Alto (closing Toledo)?
|4 ||Team processes || |
|5 ||Transformational leadership || |
Lou Gerstner & IBM Case
- Assess Lou Gerstner's leadership style and actions.
- What specific things did he do to orchestrate the turnaround of IBM?
Hank Kolb Case
- What is the cause of the problem?
- How do you respond to the Greasex problem?
|6 ||Don Davis/Bill Hanson || |
|7 ||Leadership development planning and alum panel || |
|8 ||Leadership, ethics, and authority (Leigh Hafrey) || |
- How is Diana, alive or dead, a problem for Queen Elizabeth?
- What does Tony Blair have to teach the queen, and she him? What values do the two of them espouse, and where do their convictions meet?
- How would you describe Diana's power, in Britain and around the world?
- Have you encountered people like Sir Thomas More—or Henry VIII, or Cromwell, or Rich—in your work? How do they function as colleagues? What is their sense of their profession?
- Can one speak of multiple spheres in the world Bolt portrays in A Man for All Seasons? If so, does each have its own rules or morals, or do the inhabitants of all of them apply the same standards to their behavior?
- "Affection goes as deep in me as you think, but only God is love right through, Howard; and that's myself (p. 122)." What is a "self" in Bolt's play, and what roles does it play for all of us in society and in our organizations?
|9 ||Leadership: Innovation and social control (Leigh Hafrey) || |
- To what extent do Peralta's surf rebels embody an ideal, and what is it?
- How do you account for the cult following that surfers like Greg Noll have acquired?
- Can we capture and replicate the freshness of innovation without killing it?
- As you look at Joy, Kurzweil, and others, what conclusions can you draw about the ethics of science, and its alignment with business ethics?
- How does Hawken, Lovins, and Lovins' vision diverge from the norm of business practice today? Does their argument feel practical to you?
- Who decides what our future should look like?
|10 ||Leadership reaction course || |
|11 ||Reflections on summer teams and leadership || |