|SES #||TOPICS||KEY DATES|
|1||Introduction: Urban Design Politics: From MIT to "The Capital of the World"|
Three Perspectives on the Politics of Design:
1) Political Science: How is power constructed through space?
2) History: How is the past manipulated to serve the present?
3) Philosophy: How is meaning conveyed?
Three More Perspectives on the Politics of Design:
1) Gender Studies: How does gender affect design?
2) Political Economy: Who benefits from urban development?
3) Anthropology: Whose perspective matters?
|Exercise 1 out|
|4||The Political Extremes of Urban Design 1: Mussolini's Rome|
|5||The Political Extremes of Urban Design 2: Berlin, Pre-War to Post-Wall|
|6||The Political Extremes of Urban Design 3: Capital Cities||Exercise 1 due|
|7||The Design Politics of Developing Public Housing|
|8||The Design Politics of Redeveloping Public Housing|
|9||The Design Politics of Urban Security|
|10||The Design Politics of Urban Resilience|
|11||Student Presentations 1|
|12||Student Presentations 2|
|13||Student Presentations 3||Final paper due|