| Part I: Spatial Information and Database Management |
|1 || |
Introduction to the Course, Oracle, and SQLplus
The 'Marriage' of Planners and Data
|2 ||Relational Database Management, Geospatial Data || |
- Worboys , Michael F. GIS: A Computing Perspective. London: Taylor & Francis, 1995. Pp. 45-67.
- Trimble, J. Harvey, Jr., and David Chappell. A Visual Introduction to SQL. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1989. Chapters 1, 3, and 4.
|3 ||Handling One-to-Many Relations - Grouping and Aggregation || |
- Trimble and Chappell. Chapters 5, 7, and 8.
|4 ||Advanced SQL - Subqueries and Complex joins || |
- Trimble and Chappell. Chapter 6.
|5 ||Distributed Access to Parcel-Level City Databases || |
- Zoning variance database help pages
- Ferreira, Joseph Jr. "Information Technologies that Change Relationships between Low-Income Communities and the Public and Non-profit Agencies that Serve Them." Forthcoming Chapter 7 in MIT Press Book from Spring 1996 DUSP colloquium on High Technology and Low-Income Communities.
- Top-down and bottom-up strategies for ‘cleaning’ official administrative databases
- Using lookup tables to interpret read-only city data
- Strategies for encoding, accumulating, and utilizing local knowlege
|6 || |
The Zoning Variance Database & Advanced Query Construction
Due: Problem Set 1
- Trimble and Chappell. Chapters 9 and 11.
|7 ||Referential Integrity and Relational Database Design || |
- Worboys. Pp. 68-84 (Optional: pp. 84-95).
|8 ||Querying Oracle from a Client Application and Databases on Web || |
| Part II: Integrating Mapping and DBMS |
|9 || |
Adding Z and Integrating Mapping with RDBMS Tools I
Due: Problem Set 2
- Flowerdew, R. "Spatial data integration." Chap. 24 in Geographical Information Systems: Principles and Applications. Vol. 1. Edited by D. J. Maguire, M. F. Goodchild, and D. W. Rhind. 1991. [In Reader]
- Craig. "Why we couldn't get the data we wanted." Journal of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA) 4, 2 (1992). [In Reader]
|10 ||Integrating Mapping with RDBMS Tools II || |
|11 ||Examination || |
|12 ||Using ArcView Spatial Analyst || |
|13 || |
Using ArcView Spatial Analyst with Oracle Data
Due: Problem Set 3