Topics: Basic considerations in nonlinear analysis
- The principle of virtual work in general nonlinear analysis, including all material and geometric nonlinearities
- A simple instructive example
- Introduction to the finite element incremental solution, statement and physical explanation of governing finite element equations
- Requirements of equilibrium, compatibility, and the stress-strain law
- Nodal point equilibrium versus local equilibrium
- Assessment of accuracy of a solution
- Example analysis: Stress concentration factor calculation for a plate with a hole in tension
- Example analysis: Fracture mechanics stress intensity factor calculation for a plate with an eccentric crack in tension
- Discussion of mesh evaluation by studying stress jumps along element boundaries and pressure band plots
Instructor: Klaus-Jürgen Bathe
Study Guide (PDF)
Sussman, T., and K. J. Bathe. “Studies of Finite Element Procedures: On Mesh Selection.” Computers & Structures 21 (1985): 257-264.
Sussman, T., and K. J. Bathe. “Studies of Finite Element Procedures: Stress Band Plots and the Evaluation of Finite Element Meshes.” Engineering Computations 3 (1986): 178-191.