Read Book section 4.4: "Case Study: The Internet Domain Name System (DNS)".
As you read, think about the following:
- What is the benefit of a recursive query?
- What are the benefits of DNS's hierarchical design?
- Are there any drawbacks to DNS's design?
Questions for Recitation
Before you come to this recitation, write up (on paper) a brief answer to the following (really—we don't need more than a sentence or so for each question):
- What is the purpose of DNS?
- How does it work?
- Why was it designed to work that way?
As always, there are multiple correct answers for each of these questions.