In this section, Dr. Rebusco explains how she turned her idea to combine language learning and cooking into a practical, interactive, and fun course for MIT students.
Idea for the Course
Dr. Rebusco discusses how she came up with the idea for this unique course.
Goals of the Course
Dr. Rebusco talks about her teaching goals and what she hoped her students
would learn at the end of the course.
Preparing for the Course
The instructor explains the ways in which she prepared for each class session.
Dr. Rebusco purchased the ingredients for the dishes at the local Shaw’s Supermarket, Whole Foods, and Sessa’s Cold Cuts and Italian Specialties in Somerville, MA.
Creating the Cooking Assignments
Dr. Rebusco explains the weekly cooking assignments the students were asked to do
outside of class.
Written and Oral Assignments
Students were required to complete the following activities each week:
- Read from the instructor's blog entry for that week.
- Complete the exercises and assignments for each lesson.
- Cook a dish on their own and bring it to class
- Students purchased their own ingredients
- In class, everyone tasted each dish and discussed how it turned out and what could have been done differently.