Essay 2: Visualizing Modernity
Choose 1 (one) image from the MIT Visualizing Cultures website and 1 (one) primary text that was assigned in class. Analyze them closely and critically, and discuss how your selected sources highlight a central theme in the Japanese experience of modernity during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The image and text may represent complementary or contrasting perspectives. Make your case by citing specific examples from your selected sources. The arguments you make based on the analysis of your chosen sources should, in turn, be supported and supplemented by references to other primary as well as secondary sources assigned in class, along with references to lecture notes and the recommended Gordon text.
Your essay should be formatted in the following manner:
- Cover page featuring the essay title and your chosen image
- 1,500 words (roughly 6 pages)
- 12-pt. Times or Times New Roman font
- 1-inch margin
- Citations given in footnotes in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style Citation Quick Guide
- Microsoft Word or PDF file
This essay is due during Session 14.