This self-assessment page completes the Structure of the Atom module, and covers material from the following sessions.
- Session 1: Introduction to Solid State Chemistry
- Session 2: The Periodic Table
- Session 3: Atomic Models: Rutherford & Bohr
- Session 4: Matter/Energy Interactions: Atomic Spectra, Quantum Numbers
- Session 5: Electron Shell Model & Quantum Numbers
- Session 6: Particle-Wave Duality
- Session 7: The Aufbau Principle, Photoelectron Spectroscopy
On this page are a simple weekly quiz and solutions; relevant exam problems and solutions from the 2009 class; help session videos that review selected solutions to the exam problems; and supplemental exam problems and solutions for further study.
Weekly Quiz and Solutions
This short quiz is given approximately once for every three lecture sessions. You should work through the quiz problems in preparation for the exam problems.
Exam Problems and Solutions
These exam problems are intended for you to demonstrate your personal mastery of the material, and should be done alone, closed-book, with just a calculator, the two permitted reference tables (periodic table, physical constants), and one 8 1/2" x 11" aid sheet of your own creation.
After you've taken the exam, watch the help session videos below for insights into how to approach some of the exam problems.
Exam Help Session Videos
In these videos, 3.091 teaching assistants review some of the exam problems, demonstrating their approach to solutions, and noting some common mistakes made by students.
Supplemental Exam Problems and Solutions
These additional exam problems from prior years' classes are offered for further study.