Download and Play
On a smartphone or tablet (yours or a friend's) download the AffdexMe app (available free for iOS or Android). Play with it and answer the questions below.
- For the AffdexMe app, try to use it near a window on a bright day. Which way does it work best: When you are facing the window, or when your back is to the window? Why?
- Facial exercises! For the AffdexMe app, go into the settings and change the metrics that are used, trying each one. Could you get them all to work on you - to have a high score when you made the particular facial movements? Comment on any that were particularly hard for you to achieve.
- How do you think people's facial expression of emotion changes when they know they are being observed / evaluated? Try to give two different specific changes you would expect to see.
- Which factors might introduce the most variance into facial emotion measurements (e.g. interpersonal differences, culture, gender, situation)? Give two specific examples where you would expect high variance.
- Consider the ethical implications of emotion measurement of faces on large-scales? Give a specific scenario: How might it help improve our lives? Give a specific scenario: How might it make our lives worse? What are some ways that the troubling uses could be addressed / mitigated?