Problem Set 1
Please do the following problems at the end of Stewart, Charles. Chapter 1 in Analyzing Congress (The New Institutionalism in American Politics). W. W. Norton & Company, 2011. ISBN: 978039393506.
- Problems 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
Problem Set 2
- Do the following problems from the end of Chapter 1 in Analyzing Congress.
- Problems 7, 8, 10 and 11
- The following figure shows the ideal points of a three-person legislature that is deciding on spending levels along two dimensions, Guns and Butter. The status quo (ф) is also indicated.
Decisions are made using the following rules:
- Motions are voted on one dimension at a time.
- An agenda-setter makes a motion that is decided by the chamber on a take-it-or-leave-it basis (In other words, if the proposal is rejected by a majority vote, the game is over and the status quo prevails).
- Decisions are made based on majority rule.
B1. Show the policy outcome if Member A is the agenda-setter on the Guns dimension and Member C is the agenda-setter on the Butter dimension.
B2. The answer for B1 will be a point in the policy space in the figure. Show the win set against the policy that results from answer B1.