Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
This course provides an introduction to the theory and practice of quantum computation. Topics covered include:
- (Just) enough quantum mechanics to understand quantum computation.
- Quantum algorithms.
- Simon’s algorithm
- The prime factorization algorithm
- Grover’s search algorithm
- Mathematical models of quantum computation, their relationships to each other, and to physical systems.
- Quantum error correcting codes
- Quantum cryptography
- Quantum fault tolerance
Understanding of linear algebra. Prior knowledge of quantum mechanics is helpful, but not required. Permission of instructor is required.
|Two quizzes (15% each)||30%|
Collaboration is allowed; please mention those you have collaborated with, and only write your own understanding of the problem.
Nielsen, Michael A., and Isaac L. Chuang. Quantum Computation and Quantum Information. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, September 2000. ISBN: 9780521635035.
Preskill, J. Notes on Quantum Computation.
Peres, Asher. Quantum Theory: Concepts and Methods. New York, NY: Springer, 1993. ISBN: 9780792325499.