What criteria do you think are important for assessing the habitability of a planetary body? Illustrate with reference to current or past missions in our solar system.
What is meant by the concept of Galactic Habitable Zone. Illustrate with reference to a current mission that looks outside our solar system.
- Read the paper Phylogenetic Structure of the Prokaryotic Domain: The Primary Kingdoms and answer the following questions.
- Why do chloroplasts have 16S rRNA and what is the sequence of this RNA similar to?
- What metabolic class of Archaea was used to determine the similarity of Archaea to Bacteria? How do these organisms match/represent the evolutionary diversity of Archaea known today? (you should look at a much more recent phylogenetic tree)
- How evolutionarily similar are Archaea to Bacteria or Eukarya?
- Why was this surprising to learn?
- What does the paper suggest about the universal ancestor?
- What can we learn from anaerobic, unicellular eukaryotes?
|Problem Set 1 (PDF)||Solution 1 (PDF) (Courtesy of Katherine French. Used with permission.)|
|Problem Set 2 (PDF)||Solution 2 (PDF) (Courtesy of Katherine French. Used with permission.)|