Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
The stratigraphic record – a time sequence of depositional surfaces – is our window to the long view of surface dynamics.
This course covers:
- Sediments in the rock cycle
- Production of sediments at the Earth's surface
- Physics and chemistry of sedimentary materials
- Scale and geometry of near-surface sedimentary bodies, including aquifers
- Sediment transport and deposition in modern sedimentary environments
- Burial and lithification
- Survey of major sedimentary rock types
- Stratigraphic relationships of sedimentary basins
- Evolution of sedimentary processes through geologic time
Introduction to Geology (12.001)
Closed book. Will cover material presented in Lectures 2 through 12.
Closed book. Will cover material presented in Lectures 13 through 22.
Write-ups for all labs will be graded. Lab exam will be closed book.