Short papers 7-10 pages reflecting either
- upon your experiences in scientific laboratories or biotech firms on topics covered in class; or
- topics raised by speakers in class combined with readings on and beyond the syllabus.
Papers this year included:
- Reflections on how Chinese postdocs negotiate American laboratory experiences;
- Comparative regulatory structures in different countries for stem cell research;
- How different motivational and career structures are coordinated in a research laboratory run by a physician-scientist;
- Reflections on how organizationally to represent the professional interests of physician-scientists;
- A fieldwork paper following oncologists and primary care physicians to watch how patient-doctor communication is negotiated: language code-switching, use of statistics, framing of narratives of hope, etc.