- Student begins presentation, asking the question: Why study film?
- Singer discusses the interpenetration of realism and formalism in film.
- In response to a student's description of problem-solving in engineering, Singer argues that mathematics is an abstract art form.
- Discussion of the aesthetic differences between film and photography.
- Student talks about Cocteau's film, Beauty & the Beast.
- Further discussion of Cocteau; Singer explains that in Cocteau's work, film lends itself to poetry.
- Student continues presentation with analysis of Citizen Kane.