Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
24.900 Introduction to Linguistics, or permission of instructor.
- Overview of major questions and results from the study of language sound structure
- Develop analytic skills: describing data, formulating and testing hypotheses, evaluating alternatives
- Preparation for graduate school in linguistics or speech
- Useful background for career in speech science and technology, foreign language teaching and study
- Reading assignments from textbooks and research articles
- Weekly problem sets (exercises): due at beginning of Monday class
|Final exam or final research project||25%|
|Participation and attendance||10%|
For problem sets, acknowledged collaboration with other students is permitted but you must write up your own solutions. Exams will take place in class and are closed-book. At the end of the semester you will be able to choose between a final exam covering material from the second half of class, or a 5-10 page report on some research project of your choosing.