Prof. Shankar Raman
MIT Course Number
As Taught In
This course introduces students to some of the most important practitioners of poetry in sixteenth- and seventeenth-century England, locating them in their historical and social contexts. We will be emphasizing love poetry or amatory verse, by combining close reading of selected poems with an investigation of the contexts of English verse.
Other OCW Versions
OCW has published multiple versions of this subject.
- 21L.704 Studies in Poetry: 20th Century Irish Poetry: The Shadow of W. B. Yeats (Spring 2008)
- 21L.704 Studies in Poetry: "What's the Use of Beauty?" (Fall 2005)
- 21L.704 Studies in Poetry - British Poetry and the Sciences of the Mind (Fall 2004)
- 21L.704 Studies in Poetry: Gender and Lyric -- Renaissance Men and Women Writing about Love (Spring 2003)
- 21L.704 Studies in Poetry: "Does Poetry Matter" (Fall 2002)