This section covers lectures 6-8.
Reading in: Panton, Ronald L. Incompressible Flow. 4th ed. Wiley, 2013. ISBN: 9781118013434. [Preview with Google Books]
- Chapter 5: Basic Laws
Reading in: Kundu, Pijush K., and Ira M. Cohen. Fluid Mechanics. 6th ed. Academic Press, 2015. ISBN: 9780124059351.
- Chapter 4: Conservation Laws
- 4.1: Introduction
- 4.2: Conservation of Mass
- 4.3: Stream Functions
- 4.4: Conservation of Momentum
- 4.5: Constitutive Equation for a Newtonian Fluid
- 4.6: Navier-Strokes Momentum Equation
- 4.7: Noninertial Frame of Reference
- 4.8: Conservation of Energy
- 4.9: Special Forms of the Equations; Angular Momentum Principle for a Stationary Control Volume; Bernoulli Equations; Neglect of Gravity in Constant Density Flows; The Boussinesq Approximation; Summary
Reading in: Fay, James A. Introduction to Fluid Mechanics. MIT Press, 1994. ISBN: 9780262061650. [Preview with Google Books]
- Chapter 3: Conservation of Mass
- Chapter 5: Conservation of Momentum
- Vincenti, Walter G. "Control-volume Analysis: A Difference in Thinking Between Engineering and Physics." Technology and Culture 23, no. 2 (1982): 145–74.
- Fundamental Laws of Motion for Particles, Material Volumes, and Control Volumes (PDF)
- On Choosing and Using Control Volumes: Six Ways of Applying the Integral Mass Conservation Theorem to a Simple Problem (PDF)