This section covers lectures 14-16.
Reading in: Panton, Ronald L. Incompressible Flow. 4th ed. Wiley, 2013. ISBN: 9781118013434. [Preview with Google Books]
- Chapter 7: Some Incompressible Flow Patterns
- Chapter 21: Flow at Low Reynolds Numbers
Reading in: Fay, James A. Introduction to Fluid Mechanics. MIT Press, 1994. ISBN: 9780262061650. [Preview with Google Books]
- Chapter 6: Laminar Viscous Flow
- 6.1: Introduction
- 6.2: The Viscous Stress
- 6.3: The Viscous Force
- 6.4: The Navier-Stokes Equation of Motion
- 6.5: Applications of the Navier-Stokes Equation
Reading in: Kundu, Pijush K., and Ira M. Cohen. Fluid Mechanics. 6th ed. Academic Press, 2015. ISBN: 9780124059351.
- Chapter 4: Conservation Laws
- Chapter 8: Laminar Flow
- 8.1: Introduction
- 8.2: Exact Solutions for Steady Incompressible Viscous Flow; Steady Flow between Parallel Plates; Steady Flow in a Round Tube; Steady Flow between Concentric Rotating Cylinders
- 8.3: Elementary Lubrication Theory
- 8.4: Similarity Solutions for Unsteady Incompressible Viscous Flow
- 8.5: Flow Due to an Oscillating Plate
- 8.6: Low Reynolds Number Viscous Flow Past a Sphere
- Zeidan, F. Y., and Dilip Jain. "Application of Hydrodynamic Thrust Bearings in Submersible Pumps." Paper Presented at the ESP Workshop Held in Houston, TX, April 26–28, 2000.
- "A General Guide to the Principles, Operation and Troubleshooting of Hydrodynamic Bearings." (PDF) Kingsbury, Inc.
- McHugh, Jim. "Albert Kingsbury – His Life and Times." (PDF) Sound & Vibration. October 2003.
- Couette & Poiseuille Flows (PDF)
- Criteria for Locally Fully Developed Viscous Flow (PDF)
- Flow Inside a Cylinder Which is Suddenly Rotated (PDF)
- The General Form of Reynolds Equation (PDF)
Videos Seen During Class
Problem Set 8
|Problem 8.02 (PDF)||Solution to Problem 8.02 (PDF)|
|Stokes First Problem ATP (PDF)||Solution to Stokes First Problem ATP (PDF)|
|Stokes Second Problem ATP (PDF)||Solution to Stokes Second Problem ATP (PDF)|
|Viscous Decay of a Free Vortex (PDF)||Solution is not available.|