This section covers lectures 19-20.
Reading in: Kundu, Pijush K., and Ira M. Cohen. Fluid Mechanics. 6th ed. Academic Press, 2015. ISBN: 9780124059351.
- Chapter 5: Vorticity Dynamics
- 5.1: Introduction
- 5.2: Kelvin's Circulation Theorem
- 5.3: Helmhotz's Vortex Theorems
- 5.4: Vorticity Equation in a Nonrotating Frame
- 5.8: Vortex Sheet
- Chapter 6: Ideal Flow
- 6.5: Forces on a Two-Dimensional Body; Blasius Theorem; Kutta-Zhukhovsky Lift Theorem
- PITCHf/x on Wikipedia. Interesting reference on Magnus force in baseball for those of you who watch baseball or use MLB's Gameday™ app: Trajectory analysis incorporates the Magnus effect.
Videos Seen During Class
- torenheksje. "Dolphins Blow Bubble Air Rings." January 25, 2008. YouTube. https://youtu.be/bT-fctr32pE
YouTube has a number of great links of dolphins & beluga playing with vortex rings; clearly they are masters of Kelvin's Theorem.
- thegreidy. "Fellowship of the Ring Smoke Galleon Scene." May 30, 2008. YouTube. https://youtu.be/UdE0qjbwwWo
This guy must have been friends with Lord Kelvin (even looks like him a bit!). Clearly an expert in control of circulation.