This page compiles lecture content from several versions of the class:
- Lecture outlines by Prof. Thorburn, from 2013.
- Detailed notes taken by a student, from 2006.
- A complete sequence of lecture videos, assembled from the 2007 and 2013 classes.
Please note there will be some inconsistencies among the materials from the different years, reflecting continued refinement in the course. For instance, the 2006 student notes end with the lecture on DeSica’s Bicycle Thieves, and do not cover these aspects of the 2013 class as reflected in the videos and lecture outlines:
- Howard Hawks was added to the 2nd “Hollywood in the 1930s” session (lecture 8).
- Rear Window was added to the 2nd Hitchcock session (lecture 10).
- Truffaut’s The 400 Blows and Kurosawa’s Rashomon are discussed in lectures 21 and 22.