Read Chanda, Ch. 4
- Chanda equates NGOs such as Human Rights Watch with missionaries since both are agents of globalization. What qualities do they share? How are they different?
- Did your reading of Chanda change how you conceive of the role of missionaries? How?
- Look carefully at the faces painted on the caves in Dunhuang, China and read “A Brief Introduction of Dunhuang” as well. Consider the role of missionaries as travelers and reporters.
- What kinds of cultural bridges were formed by missionaries? Why were they often important in the resistance to colonialism?
- What role did missionaries have in the anti slave movement?