Read Chanda, Ch. 7
- What are some of the differences between the slave trade in the 17th Century and the global trading of human beings today?
- What were some of the factors that led to an increase in human trade?
- What are some additional human catastrophes brought by globalization?
- Think about the history of slavery. What different roles did slaves play in the Roman Empire? Early Modern Europe? The Middle East?
- Were you surprised that the Abbasid’s imported Ethiopian slaves? Why? What were some of the roles slaves played in the Abbasid Empire?
- How did the sugar trade change and expand slavery? Does slavery exist today?
- What are some ways in which slavery changed the scale of production?
- Think about the extent of African slavery: to what parts of the world were African slaves brought?
- What is the relationship between slave trade and mass consumption?
- What countries profited most from the slave trade?
- In what ways did slaves in Asian towns differ from those in European ones?
- What were some of the consequences of the slave trade in Africa?
- How did the slave trade promote globalization in Africa itself?
- How is Brazilian culture shaped by the slave trade?
- What were some of the earliest diseases transmitted by globalization?
- What were some of the consequences of the Black Death on groups such as Jews?
- What medical advances were spurred on by the quick spread of disease in a globalized setting?
- What are some of the more recent global medical plagues?
- How have computer viruses “mutated?”
- How have computer viruses changed the way we communicate?
- How are viruses used by criminals?
Is globalization synonymous with slavery?