Profiling and Data Mining
- The first three chapters of Robert O’Harrow’s book No Place to Hide, which we asked you to get hold of at the beginning of the semester.
- The case of City of Indianapolis vs. Edmond, 531 U.S. 32 (2000).
- The Wikipedia entry on the U.S.A. PATRIOT Act of 2001, Pub. L. No. 107-56, 115 Stat. 272.
- This analysis of the key provisions of the Patriot Act. (PDF)
- These documents on airline security:
- CAPPS II System of Records notice: Document filed by the Transportation Security Authority in compliance with the Privacy Act of 1974, which explains the system of records they intended to create to facilitate the CAPPS II system. Pay careful attention to the nature of information being stored, and the (admittedly vague) picture of what they intended to do with it.
- Secure Flight Test Records System of Records notice: The same sort of document, filed to explain the system of records being created as part of the testing phase for the CAPPS II replacement program Secure Flight. Here, pay attention to what’s different (other than the fact that this notice is for a testing phase of the program in question) from CAPPS II, and what hasn’t changed at all. (PDF)
- Amended Secure Flight Test System of Records notice: In June of this year, the Transportation Security Authority revised its “testing phase” privacy act notice to reflect what it had actually done. (PDF)