Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 2 sessions / week, 1.5 hours / session
This is the first term of a theoretical treatment of the physics of solids. Topics covered include:
Free Electron: Fermi Sea
- Crystalline Lattices
- Bloch’s Theorem
- Band Structure: OPW, APW, Tight-binding
- Survey of Periodic Table
How to Construct Lattice Potential?
- Electron-electron Interaction
- Density Functional Theory
- Screening, Lindhard Function
- Linear Response Theory
Methods of Testing Band Structures
- Semiclassical Equation of Motion
- de Haas van Alphen
- Quantum Hall Effect
Beyond Band Theory: Mott Insulator
- BCS Theory
- Flux Quantization
- Vortices and Type II Superconductors
- Josephson Effect
Marder, Michael P. Condensed Matter Physics. New York: Wiley, 2000. ISBN: 9780471177791.
The grade for the course is based upon weekly homework assignments (70%) and one quiz (30%).