Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 3 sessions / week, 1 hour / session
The subject covers the physics of galaxies, active galactic nuclei, clusters of galaxies, and the Universe. Topics include X-ray and Sunyaev-Zeldovich observations of clusters of galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation and big bang nucleosynthesis.
- Galaxies: dynamics, potential theory, equilibria
- Groups and clusters of galaxies; X-ray emission and dark matter
- Active galactic nuclei; black hole accretion and jets
- Phenomenological cosmology
- Newtonian and Friedman-Robertson-Walker models
- Cosmic microwave background
- Primordial nucleosynthesis
- Formation of galaxies and large scale structure
Binney, James, and Scott Tremaine. Galactic Dynamics. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1 January 1988. ISBN: 9780691084459.
Longair, Malcolm S. Galaxy Formation. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1 December 1998. ISBN: 9783540637851.
8.901 (Astrophysics I)
The basis for the course grade is listed below.