If you are participating in this course on campus, you will have access to the Speech Communication Group lab computers. All of the software tools for the course are available from those computers. Those tools that run under UNIX®/Linux® are found using the labc account. You will get a password for this account in class. The Windows®-based tools run on the PCs in the lab. For reference, the following is a list of the tools used throughout the course.
- Klatt Tools (originally developed by Dennis Klatt at the Speech Communication Group)
- record (VAX) - Software for digitizing audio recordings.
- lspecto (VAX, UNIX®/Linux®) - Software for creating and printing spectrograms from digitized audio.
- xkl (UNIX®/Linux®) - Spectrum and waveform analysis tool.
- maketape (VAX) - Software used to create an audio tape from digitized audio. (Used to create a perceptual test.)
- xwaves (UNIX®/Linux®) - Spectrum and waveform analysis tool.
- MATLAB® (UNIX®/Linux®) - Matrix calculation software used to run scripts for vocal tract area calculations and examination of microbeam data.
- Real™Player, or some other tool to view digital video.
- HLSyn - (Windows®) - Speech synthesis software.
- SpeechStation2 (Windows®) - Spectrum and waveform analysis tool.
If you are not participating in this course on campus, there are a variety of tools that you may use to complete the analyses in the labs. The following is a list of suggestions; however, any tools that provide you with spectral and waveform analysis functions may be used in the labs.
Alternate Analysis Tools
- Colea - MATLAB®-based free-ware intended for non-commercial use.
- SpeechStation 2 - Windows®-based analysis tools available from Sensimetrics Corp.
- Praat - Multi-platform free-ware intended for non-commercial use.
The MATLAB® scripts to conduct vocal tract area calculations and examine microbeam data are provided here for download. The ZIP file also contains program settings files (.sig), area function files (.are), and a backup file (.old). These tools are intended for non-commercial use and no formal software support is provided.
Vocal Tract Area Functions (ZIP) (The ZIP file contains: 54 .m files, 1 .m~ file, 10 .h files, 2 .h~ files, 13 .c files, 3 .c~ files, 7 .dll files, 7 .mexglx files, 1 .old files, 1 .txt, 13 .are files, 1 .tc files, 3 .sig files, 1 .doc files, 2 .dat files, 6 .tex files, 1 .ps file, 9 .scc files and 1 .pdf file.)
Microbeam Data Analysis (ZIP) (The ZIP file contains: 27 .m files.)
- Purchase MATLAB® (Student Version for PC and Linux® - $99)