Prof. Karl Seidman
Prof. Susan Silberberg
MIT Course Number
As Taught In
- Selected lecture notes
- Projects and examples
- Assignments: problem sets (no solutions)
- Assignments: written (no examples)
This course focuses on the physical and economic renewal of urban neighborhood Main Streets by combining classroom work with an applied class project. The course content covers four broad areas:
- An overview of the causes for urban business district decline, the challenges faced in revitalization and the type of revitalization strategies employed;
- The physical and economic development planning tools used to understand and assess urban Main Streets from physical design and economic development perspectives;
- The policies, interventions, and investments used to foster urban commercial revitalization; and
- The formulation of a revitalization plan for an urban commercial district.
Other OCW Versions
OCW has published multiple versions of this subject.