Covered this week:
A male gymnast completes a complicated move involving simultaneous rotation and translation. Image courtesy of Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games.
Problems and Concept Questions
Each problem set has concept questions paired with most problems. Answers to the concept questions are handed in before the overall problem set is due. You should therefore answer the concept questions in each problem set while watching the video lectures for the week. Then, use the Concept Question Answer Key (below in the Check Yourself section) to check your work before continuing to work on the problem set.
Please note that if your answer to the concept question is incorrect, it is likely that you may start down an unproductive pathway to a solution. Try to fully understand the answer to the concept question before you begin the regular problem.
- [Hibbeler] sections sections 12.7, 12.8, 13.5–13.7, 16.7, 16.8.
- Vector form of velocity and acceleration in a translating and rotating coordinate system and the expression of them in polar and cylindrical coordinates
- Two examples using polar coordinates
- Angular momentum of a particle, torque as the time rate of change of angular momentum, and the appearance of the coriolis force
- Candy shooter example of coriolis force done in polar coordinates
- Definition of normal and tangential coordinates
Recitation Video and Notes
- Watch Notation Systems
- Recitation 2 uses a different notation system than used in Lectures 1 through 4. Please watch this video to see how the two notation systems interrelate.
- Watch Recitation 2: Velocity and Acceleration in Translating and Rotating Frames
- This recitation includes a concept review for the week and covers an amusement park ride problem with velocity in translating and rotating frames. The class also covers questions regarding planar motion problems.
- Recitation 2 Notes: Planar Motion (PDF - 1.1MB)
- These recitation notes were compiled by Prof. David Gossard, another instructor for the course. His notes go over concepts and problems covered during the recitation sections he taught, and may not precisely correspond to the content covered in the above recitation video.
Concept Question Answer Key and Problem Set Solutions
The solutions are presented in two files, one with the answers to the concept questions, and one with solutions and in-depth explanations for the problems. Work the problems on your own and check your answers when you’re done.
- Problem Set 2: Concept Question Answer Key (PDF)
- Problem Set 2: Problem Solutions and Explanations (PDF)
Looking for something specific in this course? The Resource Index compiles links to most course resources in a single page.