- What is the best way to expand American power?
- What is progress?
- What are the continuities and changes between 19th-20th century Progressivism and present-day Progressivism?
Key concepts and terms
- Two sides to progressive movement: purity, propriety, morality vs. rationality, efficiency, science (e.g. scientific solutions to social problems)
- Social, scientific, industrial progress
- Separate spheres ideology
- Muckraking and “Civic Housekeeping”
- Women’s Christian Temperance Union (prohibition and 18th Amendment)
- Vices: alcohol, dance halls, prostitution as “white slavery” (regulation of male behavior by women)
- Mann Act (“White Slave Traffic Act”)
- Women’s suffrage and cult of domesticity
- Settlement houses
- “Rise of mass culture” and advertising
- Muckrakers: Ida Tarbell (investigative journalism) and Upton Sinclair ( The Jungle. Dover Publications, 2001. ISBN: 9780486419237.)
- Margaret Sanger and contraception