Course Meeting Times
Lectures: 1 session / week, 1.5 hours / session
Studios: 1 session / week, 1.5 hours / session & 1 session / week, 3 hours / session
Course Learning Objectives
- Introduce undergraduate students to contemporary architectural culture.
- Introduce students to projection through scales.
- Develop critical problem solving skills based on architectural design methodologies.
- Provide an introduction to the tools and materials associated with an architectural education.
- Develop public speaking and presentation skills.
|Completion of assigned exercises by the stated due dates||40|
|Level of craft and quality of the execution||30|
|Clarity of design intent||20|
|Participation in discussions||10|
Attendance for the full duration of each studio and lecture is mandatory. The studio is an exceptional learning environment that requires your physical as well as your intellectual presence. You are allowed three excused absences for the semester. Absences beyond the three allotted will result in a decrease in your final grade. If you six or more studio classes, you will be asked to drop the subject or receive a failing grade.
Project grades will be assigned according to the following:
- Excellent—Project surpasses expectations in terms of rigor, craft, logic and inventiveness. Student takes concepts and techniques above and beyond those discussed in class.
- Above Average—Project is thorough, well-researched, diligently pursued, and successfully completed. Student pursues ideas and suggestions presented in class and puts in effort to resolve required projects. Project is complete on all levels and demonstrates potential for excellence.
- Average—Project meets the minimum requirements. Suggestions made in class are not pursued with dedication or rigor. Project is incomplete in one or more areas.
- Poor—Project is incomplete. Basic skills including graphic skills, model-making skills verbal clarity or logic of presentation is not appropriate. Student does not demonstrate the required design skills and knowledge.
- Failure—Project is unresolved. Minimum objectives are not met. Performance is not acceptable. This grade will be assigned when you have more than one unexcused absences.