Prof. Jeffrey Grossman
MIT Course Number
As Taught In
- Video lectures
- Faculty introduction - video
- Special feature - video
- Tutorial - video
- Online textbooks
- Assignments: problem sets with solutions
- Assignments: problem sets (no solutions)
- Exams (no solutions)
- Resource Index
- Goodie Bags: mini-experiment kits allow students to explore a key concept and solve related problems, with video tutorials provided by the course TAs.
- Why This Matters moments: a brief portion of each lecture focusing on how the topic relates to innovations in science and in life, real-world applications, and creative directions for research.
- The CHEMATLAS: includes an overview and summary of the main topics in each lecture, the Why This Matters moment, a section on Why This Employs, and a few example problems with solutions.
In this course, we will explore what makes things in the world the way they are and why, to understand the science and consider the engineering. We learn not only why the physical world behaves the way it does, but also how to think with chemical intuition, which can’t be gained simply by observing the macroscopic world.
This 2018 version of 3.091 by Jeffrey Grossman and the 2010 OCW version by Don Sadoway cover similar topics and both provide complete learning materials. This 2018 version also includes Jeffrey Grossman’s innovative Goodie Bags, Why This Matters, and CHEMATLAS content, as well as additional practice problems, quizzes, and exams.