Before you hand in your best draft of your technical memo, be sure you can make the following claims:
- My format conforms to memo conventions and helps the reader navigate the text and predict the text that follows:
- The memo is single spaced
- The memo is composed of unified and coherent paragraphs
- Section headings are used where appropriate
- My main message (conclusion) is in the first paragraph, within the first few sentences, of the memo. The reader can easily find the key contents.
|State your memo’s main message here in sentence form:|
- No sections are redundant or unnecessary for the reader.
- I have eliminated any excessive or irrelevant details.
- Where appropriate, I have presented data in a table, graph or appendix.
- The style and tone of the memo is appropriate to the audience and to the context.
- If necessary, I have included an “Action Step” at the end of the memo to clarify to the reader what I expect from him / her or what step I will take next.