- « Video: What Occupations are Growing?
- 4.1.1Video: Week 4 Introduction
- 4.1.2Video: What Occupations are Growing?
- 4.1.3Video: Emerging Forms of Work
- 4.1.4Video: Uber Case Study
- 4.1.5Video: Interview with Jianming Zhou and Ryder Pearce
- 4.1.6Video: Interview with Erik Brynjolfsson
- 4.1.7Video: Interviews with Barbara Dyer and Scott Stern
- 4.1.8Video: MIT Technology Conference with Meryam Bukhari
- » Video: Uber Case Study
In the video below, Postdoctoral Fellow John McCarthy talks about new, technology-mediated work arrangements like Uber and TaskRabbit.com.
For some, these new work arrangements offer considerable flexibility and a departure from routine, boring work. However, workers in these arrangements are essentially freelancers, and thus they suffer challenges common to most freelance workers.
Video: Emerging Forms of Work
Explanation Corporations in the 1950s were intellectually and behaviorally conformist. There were steep pay inequalities based on race and gender, and white men were almost exclusively in charge. Although many of these problems persist today, pay gaps are decreasing, more women are in leadership roles, and more and more companies encourage creativity and individual expression.