Recitation 1: Worse is Better
- Read "The Rise of Worse is Better" by R. Gabriel and be prepared to discuss it.
Lecture 1: Coping with Complexity: Enforced Modularity via Client/server Organization
Lecture 1 Outline
- Introduction to Systems
- Why is Complexity Bad?
- Mitigating Complexity
- Enforced Modularity
- Other Goals
- Book sections 1.1-1.5 and 4.1-4.3
Recitation 2: We Did Nothing Wrong
- Read "We Did Nothing Wrong: Why Software Quality Matters" by D. Gage & J. McCormick in Baseline Magazine on March 4, 2004
- We Did Nothing Wrong Assignment
Tutorial 1: Introduction to 6.033 Communication
Most of these tutorials will teach the communication theory and practices of this course, and assist you in preparing for the assignments. You'll become fluent in a variety of communication genres, develop strategies and skills needed to present technical concepts to different audiences, learn how to use writing to develop and deepen your technical understanding—and get specific, directed instruction on writing and presenting your 6.033 assignments. A handful of the tutorials will be dedicated to discussing the design project.
System Critique Assignment 1: Evaluate and Assess a Domain Name System (DNS)
- Assigned: Critique Assignment 1