This session introduces the method of elimination, an essential tool for working with matrices. The method follows a simple algorithm. To help make sense of material presented later, we describe this algorithm in terms of matrix multiplication.
Lecture Video and Summary
- Watch the video lecture Lecture: Elimination with Matrices
- Read the accompanying lecture summary (PDF)
- Lecture video transcript (PDF)
- Read Section 2.2 through 2.3 in the 4th or 5th edition.
Problem Solving Video
- Watch the recitation video on Recitation: Elimination with Matrices
- Recitation video transcript (PDF)
Problems and Solutions
Work the problems on your own and check your answers when you’re done.