|The determinant of a matrix is a single number which encodes a lot of information about the matrix. Three simple properties completely describe the determinant. In this lecture we also list seven more properties like detAB = (detA)(detB) that can be derived from the first three.|
Lecture Video and Summary
- Watch the video lecture Lecture 18: Properties of Determinants
- Read the accompanying lecture summary (PDF)
- Lecture video transcript (PDF)
- Read Section 5.1 in the 4th or 5th edition.
Problem Solving Video
- Watch the recitation video on Problem Solving: Properties of Determinants
- Recitation video transcript (PDF)
Problems and Solutions
Work the problems on your own and check your answers when you’re done.