This session explains inverses, transposes and permutation matrices. We also learn how elimination leads to a useful factorization A = LU and how hard a computer will work to invert a very large matrix.
Lecture Video and Summary
- Watch the video lecture Factorization into A = LU (00:50:13)
Factorization into A = LU
- Read the accompanying lecture summary (PDF)
- Lecture video transcript (PDF)
- Read Section 2.6 in the 4th or 5th edition.
Problem Solving Video
- Watch the recitation video on LU Decomposition (00:09:33)
- Recitation video transcript (PDF)
Problems and Solutions
Work the problems on your own and check your answers when you're done.