- Part 1: Middle School Consultations
- Part 2: BioBuilder.org
- Part 3: Nugget Workshop and Wrap-up
- Instructor and Student Work
Today's class begins with a visit with students from Cummings Middle School. The students are here to act as consultants. The MIT students pitch their STEM "nuggets"—ideas for STEM videos—and see which ideas the middle school students find the most interesting. We'll then focus on understanding the educational context of your lay audience, and tackle the question, How do you create a meaningful, scalable learning experience? Guest lecturer Natalie Kuldell will facilitate this discussion for the middle portion of class, using BioBuilder.org as an example. In the final portion of the class, the students will continue to work on and workshop their STEM nuggets (assigned on Day 1), focusing on the scope and the angle of the stories they want to tell.
- Welcome the middle school consultants (00:00:00)
Welcome the middle school consultants
- The consultations begin (00:03:39)
The consultations begin
- The consultations end; recap of favorite ideas (0:31:40)
The consultations end; recap of favorite ideas
- Introduction to BioBuilder.org (00:00:00)
Introduction to BioBuilder.org
- The first BioBuilder animation (00:13:15)
The first BioBuilder animation
- BrainPOP. "BrainPOP—Animated Educational Site for Kids–Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts." Accessed January 6, 2015.
- BioBuilder.org. "BioBuilder Animation: iGEM." December 21, 2010. YouTube.
- BioBuilder.org. "BioBuilder Animation: Inverter." December 27, 2010. YouTube.
- Recap of the middle school consultations (00:00:00)
Recap of the middle school consultations
- Science Out Loud's first biology video (00:06:48)
Science Out Loud's first biology video
- STEM nugget workshop: students and instructors brainstorm (00:19:20)
STEM nugget workshop: students and instructors brainstorm
- Day 2 assignment and wrap-up (00:52:15)
Day 2 assignment and wrap-up
- MITK12Videos. "Solving Biology's Mysteries with Plants (Science Out Loud S2 Ep2)." October 23, 2014. YouTube.
Daily Blog / Vlog Assignment
Upload a video, written blog post, pictures, etc. reflecting on insights gained from the workshop today on the class tumblr with #day2
Write a 200-300 word script for an episode based around your STEM nugget. (Just a rough draft - don't worry too much about making it perfect. Tomorrow's class will involve workshopping these scripts.) Upload to class Tumblr with #day2script.
Day 2 Blogs / Vlogs
- Elizabeth's day 2 blog
- Ceri's day 2 blog
- Kenneth's day 2 blog
- Andrea's day 2 blog
- PJ's day 2 blog
- Nathan's day 2 blog
- Yuliya's day 2 blog
- David's day 2 blog
Day 2 Scripts
- Kenneth's day 2 script
- Joshua's day 2 script
- Andrea's day 2 script
- PJ's day 2 script
- Nathan's day 2 script
- Yuliya's day 2 script
- David's day 2 script